Epic Escape Superhero Webcomics 185 – Making Money In Webcomics
Epic Escape Superhero Webcomics:
This is the place for fans of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Avengers, Justice League, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the like. We are the one stop shop for your free superhero webcomics. Epic Escape Superhero Webcomics is a top ranked online superhero comic. The Epic Escape Webcomic follows the funny exploits of a lesser known group of super heroes who are fighting for truth Justice, and a better way.
Enjoy Our Superhero Webcomics!
We’re back! Sorry for the long delay. Epic Escape Super Hero Comics has been in sabbatical for five months. I do apologize for the long delay. Life does what it does and got in the way. However, in that time, I’ve had the opportunity to rethink some of my strategies with regards to this comic.
You see, as much as I love producing a comic and having fun writing and drawing and creating, I don’t only do this for the love of the medium. I do love comics, as I hope you do. However, this site, the comics, and all the work that goes into it, represents a hope that I can do what I love, full time, and earn a decent living while I’m at it.
That said, I’ve started to consider what I need to do for the Epic Escape Super Hero comic to pick up some steam after just recently hitting it’s five year mark! I have to stop thinking about this as a comic, and start thinking about it as a website, with all the trappings, all the challenges, all the competition, and all the possible successes that represents. Read on, dear webcomic fan, and let’s take this journey together!
How to Make a Successful Webcomic!
Webcomics are an interesting beast!
I bet you’re wondering why it’s so hard to get a comic to really take off and find an audience. I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately. It’s often nothing to do with the quality of the comic. In fact, there are great comics out there that are not read by anyone. They are nearly impossible to find on the web, and I’m sure their creators are often frustrated by the lack of a following. Besides that, we do this as a hobby, as creators, writers, artists, pencilers, inkers, colorists, and the like, but wouldn’t it be nice to make some money while we’re at it? We’ve read about the likes of Todd McFarlane and the massive success he’s had. We read comics like Questionable Content, XKCD, Penney Arcade…simple webcomics who’ve been able to find a way to make a living out of it, and this remains rather elusive for most of us.
The reality is that webcomics have a massive disadvantage in their attempts to make money. The internet, as it is in 2017 and beyond, is not built for webcomics to easily find success. Even the best webcomics struggle to get readership without word of mouth, or external marketing. The internet you see is primary a textual medium, even in this post Web 2.0 world.
Improving Search on Webcomics
Yes, the best websites have all sorts of media, video, pictures, interactive applications. But the backbone of the internet, the search engines that make it tick, still use the same general technology as they did in 1995. They use text. Keywords, titles, descriptions are invaluable to helping search engines like Google, Yahoo, Webcrawler, Excite, and Baidu find your site.
Our webcomics, unfortunately, are a primarily visual medium! Yikes. What to do? Well, I’ve linked to a number or resources in our advertising sections that help with just that. Let’s learn together readers! I will share with you what I learn as I go over the weeks and months to come!
Making Money In Webcomics
When it comes down to it, there are basically only two ways to make money in comics or in blogs online. (Oh yes, the big secret is that webcomics are just blogs and use exactly the same model.)
The first method to make money is by earning an income just for having people view your comic. The other is the old fashion way…yes, you guessed it…by selling something!
Making Money In Webcomics with Advertisement Revenue
The first way is the easiest. When viewers come to your comic, you make money simply for having people view your comics. All those eyes on your art have value. Advertisers will give you money for every readers who sees their ad, and more so, for every reader who clicks their ad. The types of viewers will impact your earnings. More so even, the quantity of your viewership will factor into how much you make. Don’t expect tons of earning here. Unless you’ve got millions of readers, you’re likely only to make small amounts from this.
Making Money In Webcomics With Affiliate Marketing
The second way is really a much better way to make earnings. Amazon Affiliates for example is probably one of the widest used tools on the web for these types of earnings. In fact, it’s the method primarily employed by this website. For every purchase our readers make by clicking on one of our ads, we make a small amount of money in the form of a sales commission. Yes, it’s only about 4% to 7% most of the time, but that’s better than being in the red month after month, just to keep the site up!
We’ll go into more detail later on these topics, and show you how you too can employ these tools to make your webcomics hobby a more fun, more rewarding, more profitable experience. And who knows…maybe you too can become one of those comic creators who makes a living at making picture books! Wouldn’t that be great!
How To Start Your Webcomic!
So, where do you begin? After all, becoming a success will take hard work, time, and patience. We’ll get into more about the specifics of webcomics creation in the pages to follow. Here are the basic steps:
Steps to Starting A Webcomic
- Domain and Hosting – Start by getting a Domain Name and Hosting Account. Think carefully about your domain name and make it something that can easily be shared. It is the first thing that people learn about your site. Also, your hosting should be reliable and affordable. We recommend Bluehost for this. Bluehost is one the most affordable and reputable web registrars out there. It also offers a very reasonable rate for hosting, which will make your initial spend very low. This is crucial! Keep your costs low, until you start making money.
- WordPress – Activate WordPress on your website to start writing blog articles and posting comics. WordPress is the best Content Management System for storing your media and articles. WordPress then, also, allows you to install Comic Easel.
- Comic Easel – After activating WordPress, you must then add the plug in for Comic Easel. Comic Easel is the gold standard template for Webcomics sites. It creates the standard navigation that you see among many webcomics.
- Start Posting – Start posting your webcomics to your site. Your comics, whether drawn digitally, or on good old fashioned paper, can then be posted to your webcomics site.
- Start Making Money – Add Affiliate Marketing links, advertising, and products to your site to make money from those readers who visit your site, and appreciate your efforts.
- Start Marketing – Finally, and perhaps most importantly, start marketing your site. The methods are too numerous to discuss in short order, so we’ll dedicate a separate posting for this. In fact, we’ll dedicate a separate post to each of these steps, because each require some deeper considerations!
Good Luck to you as you start your webcomics journey. It’s fun, and can offer a nice stream of additional income for you and your family!
– John Cross